All schools must accept Ukrainian Nationals. You will need to bring both your and your child’s passport, any information you might have from their education in Ukraine, your entry Visa, proof of address (even if it is temporary), and contact information to register your child. More formal paperwork will be completed at a later date.

  • Pre-School : Junior Kindergarten (JK), which begins at age 4 and Senior Kindergarten (SK), which includes children who are 5 years old up until December of that school year.
  • Elementary or Primary School : grades 1-8 (ages 6-13)
  • Junior High School : grades 7-9
  • Secondary or High School : grades 9-12 (generally includes ages 14-18) However, high schools are open to all students 14-21 years of age.

Education is free in Alberta. Most schools have a school bus service that transports children from home to school and back. Transportation is paid by parents See your school board website for details

In Pre-school, Elementary or Primary school, children bring their own lunches and snacks. In higher grades, students may be able to purchase food at school. Schools do not provide meals to children for free.

Alberta has two school systems: Public and Catholic. Both school systems will accept students regardless of their faith. The difference is Catholic schools teach religion as a subject.

Edmonton Public School Board:

Calgary Public School Board:

Lethbridge Public School Board:

Elk Island Public Schools (rural east of Edmonton):

Red Deer Public Schools (central Alberta):

Edmonton Catholic School District:

Calgary Catholic School District:

Holy Spirit School Division (Lethbridge):

Elk Island Catholic Schools (rural east of Edmonton):

Red Deer Catholic Regional Schools:

View a full list of school boards in the province of Alberta

Alberta also has Ukrainian bilingual schools. To register your child in the Ukrainian bilingual program, you can call the schools directly and speak with the secretary. They will guide you through the process. Ukrainian Language Playschools and Heritage Language schools are also available.

Directory of Ukrainian Bilingual Schools and Heritage Language Schools

For more information on Ukrainian Bilingual programs, educational resources, and welcome packages and backpacks for newcomers, contact Lidia Simcisin at One World One Centre (780-944-2001).

Community Support Services Directory Updated December 2021
Online Resources for Parents and Students – List

Graduate Students:

The Canadian Institutes of Health research (CIHR), the Natural Sciences, the Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) have established a limited-time Special Response Fund for Trainees (Ukraine), or SRFT-Ukraine which maintains employment or financial support – via stipend or salary – of graduate students. Support can be requested for up to 12 months until the application deadline of December 22, 2022.

You can receive the following amounts based your education and eligibility :

Master’s level

Up to $20,000

Doctoral level

Up to $25,000

Postdoctoral level

Up to $45,000

For more information visit:

To apply fill out this form and e-mail it to


Elementary School: St. Matthew (780-473-6575) and St. Martin (780-434-4848)

Jr. High School: St. Brendan (780-466-1281)

High School: Austin O’Brian (780-466-3161)

Edmonton also has several Ukrainian pre-school and Saturday heritage language schools.

Pre-School at St Josephat’s and Kalyna Kids

Ridna Shkola Ukrainian Heritage School (for children in elementary school)

Ivan Franko School of Ukrainian Studies ( for children in Jr. High and High School)

Sherwood Park:

Elementary:St. Nicholas (780-467-3633)

Jr. High: St. Theresa (780-464-4001)

High School: Archbishop Jordan (780-467-2121)


Elementary: A.L. Horton (780-632-3113)


Unfortunately, Calgary does not have any Ukrainian bilingual schools. Unfortunately, Calgary does not have any Ukrainian bilingual schools. However, it does have Ridna Shkola Ukrainian Heritage School of the Assumption (for children between 6-12 years old), Ukrainian bilingual pre-school “Sadochok” (for children between 3-5 years old), and youth groups that have weekly meetings (for example, Ukrainian Youth Association).


FREE CHILD CARE at Kalyna Kids for Ukrainian evacuees:

Kalyna Kidsis a child care program in Edmonton that focuses on Ukrainian bilingual education. We are very pleased to help our new community members by offering child care for free for at least three months.

Hours: 7:30 am to 6:00 pm

Ages: 3 to 12

Location: 11310-51 Ave NW (inside St. Martin school)

Currently, we close at the end of June for the summer but we are working on options to stay open. Cost is free until the end of June; we hope to make it free all summer.


Facebook Page:

For more information email Bonni Wengreniuk, Operations Manager at

Licenced Child Care:

Licensed child care services are regulated by the government and include daycare/day home, out of school care, and preschool. These services are government subsidized.

Find information and resources here and Use Child Care Lookup to find licensed options near you.

Universities, Colleges, and Technical Institutes

There are several universities, colleges, and technical institutes in Alberta where you can earn certificates, diplomas, bachelor degrees, masters degrees, and complete doctoral studies.

Universities refer to research-based post-secondary institutions that offer undergraduate and graduate programs.

Colleges provide preparatory Career programming through certificate, diploma Apprenticeship Programs Some colleges offer undergraduate programs.

Technical Institutes, or polytechnics, provide programming through certificate, diploma, and apprenticeship programs. 

You must contact each educational institution directly to learn about their admission requirements and the application process.

View a list of higher education institutions in Alberta

EАL English as an Additional Language Classes for Adults: (Separate TAB)

There are several forms of English as an Additional Language (EAL) classes That can be free or available at varying costs.

In Edmonton

Sage Seniors Association offers free drop-in classes for seniors to meet one another and practice their English.

TheEdmonton Public Library organizes drop-in conversation circles open to all.

Metro Continuing Education offers English classes for speakers at various levels of fluency Through several programs including the Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) program.

Students and professionals may wish to take English as a Second Language for credit at a post-secondary institution such as MacEwan University, University of Alberta, or NAIT. Note that these courses may come at an additional cost.


The Calgary Public Library  organizes drop-in conversation circles open to all and has many resources for newcomers to Canada.

The Calgary Public Library  organizes drop-in conversation circles open to all and has many resources for newcomers to Canada.  

Students and professionals may wish to take English as a Second Language for credit at a post-secondary institution such as the University of Calgary or Columbia College Calgary Note that these courses may come at an additional cost.


Independent Learning:

Free Babbel Course

You can find the code to activate free classes on the webpage.

You can find English language learning resources at the library.

Directory of libraries in Alberta